Dear Parents and Guardians,
I want to begin by thanking all of you for your efforts in limiting the spread of the coronavirus. Our school system has done remarkably well, and our positive cases are very low per capita. With that said, we have been monitoring both local and regional external metrics daily, as well. This past weekend new information became available that now makes remote learning a necessity.
We will immediately adopt the following schedule:
- Today, Monday November 16th, will be the A students' last face-to-face day.
- Tomorrow, Tuesday November 17th, will be the B students' last face-to-face day.
- We will conduct Wednesday online classes as normal.
- We will institute our two state-issued planning days on Thursday and Friday and, therefore, there will be no instruction delivered.
- We will be in session Monday, November 23rd and Tuesday, November 24th with a full remote learning format to establish routines prior to the Thanksgiving break.
- We will continue remote learning through December and early January with plans to return to the A/B hybrid attendance model on January 19, 2021.
We learned a great deal from our previous remote learning experience in terms of its impact on staff, parents', students', and teachers' lives. We will deliver new schedules to you no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday November 20th.
All open gyms and practices are cancelled immediately.
Please keep in mind that we will be planning on Thursday and Friday to ensure we deliver the best remote learning experience possible. During remote learning we are still being held to the learning standards by the State of Illinois and, therefore, we must hold the students accountable as well. It is imperative that every student attends their classes at the scheduled time and that assignments be completed on a timely basis. Daily attendance counts toward truancy and incomplete assignments will be calculated as part of the student's grade.
More than ever, we must come together to ensure our children are given the best education we can give them under these circumstances. You have all been in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you keep yourself and your family safe!
Thanks, and have a GREAT Day!
Patrick M. Twomey, Ed.D., Superintendent
Macomb School District 185
323 West Washington Street
Macomb, Illinois 61455