Device Guidelines for Students
Macomb Community Unit School District 185 will be providing all students in grades Pre K-12 with a device. Grades Pre-K and Kindergarten will use an iPad and grades 1st through 12th, a laptop. Students will return the device when they transfer, terminate enrollment at MCUSD 185, or when requested for any other reason by the Technology Department
Devices will go home every night. The student will be responsible for bringing back to school each day the fully charged device along with its charger. If a student forgets to bring the device and/or charger to school, a substitute/loaner device will not be provided.
Students and families will want to review proper care of devices. Students and families are also encouraged to watch the videos that have been created to learn about the technology tools the District uses.
Responsibility for Damage
The student is responsible for maintaining a 100% working device at all times and shall use reasonable care to ensure that the device is not damaged. If the device is lost, stolen, neglected, intentionally damaged, or damaged, please report those incidents immediately to the teacher. MCUSD 185 Technology Department will provide all technical support for laptops. No outside technician should be asked to work on student devices. The MCUSD 185 cannot guarantee that every damaged laptop can be repaired.
In the event that a student’s assigned equipment becomes damaged or inoperable, MCUSD 185 reserves the right to charge the student and parent/guardian according to the schedule of charges listed below, to include the cost of parts for repair/replacement. However, for device issues that the the MCUSD 185 Technology Department determines are out of the student’s control and result in a need for repair or service, students will not be charged.
In the event that a student’s issued device or charger, is lost or stolen, the student and parent/guardian may be billed the full cost for replacement of the equipment.
|Schedule of Charges|
Students will be issued a loaner device for use during repair. Loaner devices are limited. If the Technology Department determines that the student’s assigned device and/or charger is damaged or inoperable as a result of student negligence, the loaner equipment privileges may be revoked.
- Designate an area in your home where the device can be safely stored in its bag (if provided) when not in use.
- Charge the device each night and put it in the bag with the charger. Never store your laptop in the bag when it is turned on.
- Bring the device and charger to school in the bag, each day you come to school.
- Take care when inserting cords, cables and other removable storage devices to avoid damage to the device ports.
- When not in use, please shut down.
- The laptop lid should be closed while carrying them. Laptops should never be held or carried by the screen.
- Do not place anything on the keyboard before closing the lid (pens, pencils, paper, etc.) and take care not to touch the screen with anything (fingers, pens, pencils, etc.).
- Laptops can generate a significant amount of heat and must be cooled. Keep air vents unblocked when the laptop is turned on. Avoid using the laptop directly on your lap for extended periods of time. Do not place the laptop on surfaces such as paper, cardboard, or carpet while it is turned on.
- Devices are fragile, please keep heavy objects off the laptop.
- Keep food, liquids, or other substances that could result in damage away from the devices.
- Do not remove or interfere with the serial number, student name label, or any other identification placed on the device or charger. Students will be charged a $5.00 replacement fee for each missing identification marker.
- Do not personalize the device with stickers,etc.
- Keep the laptop in a secure place. Do not leave your device in an unsupervised areas. These areas include and are not excluded to the school grounds and campus, cafeteria, locker rooms, library, unlocked classrooms, or hallways.
- Do not leave a device in a car during extreme hot or cold temperatures for extended periods of time. Exposure to direct sunlight or prolonged extreme temperatures can cause severe damage to the device.
- To clean the screen, touch pad, and device, turn off and unplug and use a lightly dampened soft or microfiber cloth. Chemicals, cleaners, or a wet cloth are NOT approved cleaning devices.
- Each computer is assigned to an individual student. Students should not loan their device or charger to anyone.
- Students will log in to the device using their 5-digit student ID and your password.
- Student files will be stored in Office 365 One Drive.
- Student is responsible for any data stored on his/her assigned device. Personal data should not be saved. MCUSD 185 is not responsible for any files that may be lost when saved locally to the device.
- All files stored by students are subject for review.
Monitoring Safety and Security
- Students and Parents/Guardians have agreed to adhere to the Macomb School District 185 Acceptable Use of Electronic Networks Policies (6:235).
- Filters are in place. However, it is impossible for MCUSD 185 to restrict access to all controversial and inappropriate materials. Parents/ guardians are also encouraged to aide in supervision of appropriate technology use.
- Restrictions are in place for students to only receive and send emails inside the MCUSD 185 organization.