Skylert - School Notification System

Emergency School Closing Policy

On occasion, poor weather conditions or other emergencies may arise which make it necessary to close school or dismiss children at any time during the school day. If school is dismissed during the day, you need to make arrangements for your children in case no one is home to receive them. Since children are inclined to be frightened if they do not know exactly what they are to do, it is suggested that several alternative plans be carefully worked out with them.

In addition to Skylert, the district's notification system, the following radio stations and TV channels will announce when school is dismissed because of weather conditions or any other emergency:

  • WKAI (FM 100.1)
  • WJEQ (FM 102.7)
  • WIUM (FM 91.3)
  • KHQA (Quincy Channel 7)
  • WGEM (Quincy Channel 10)

Do not call the radio stations, bus garage or schools; please listen to the radio.

Any questions can also be directed to the District Office:
Administrative Service Center
Macomb Community Unit School District Number 185
323 W Washington St.
Macomb, IL 61455

Phone: 309-833-4161
Fax: 309-836-2133

The District Office is open Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.


Skylert, is a broadcast service that is fully integrated with Skyward Family Access. Skylert is provided by SchoolMessenger.

Skylert will enable school personnel to notify all parents/guardians by phone, email, or SMS text message of an emergency or unplanned event that causes early dismissal, school cancellation or late start. Skylert may also be used from time-to-time to communicate general announcements or reminders of food service balances. A low food balance notification of less than $5 will be sent on Mondays at 6 p.m. Negative Food Balance notifications will be sent on Mondays at 6 p.m. Each parent/guardian member that has a Family Access account can individually log in to their separate account and see the button on the left hand side called, Skylert. Upon clicking on the Skylert button you will be taken to a page that has each parent/guardians individual contact information, which was provided to the school office. The first field is the Primary Phone which is your home phone number (if you do not have a home phone your cellular phone is listed). The second field is the Work Phone number. No notifications will be sent to your Work Phone. The third field is your Cellular Phone and the last field is your Email Address. This information cannot be manipulated by you. If you need this information to be updated, please contact your child’s school office.

Additional contact information can be added in the “Additional Contact Info for Family.” Three fields are available: An additional Phone Number, Email Address, and Text Message field. Next to each of these fields are boxes that allow you
to check which notification you would like sent to your phone, or email address. A work phone number can be added in the additional Phone Number field. Please make sure it is a phone number that rings directly to you, as the notification
will be a recorded message not identifying who the call is for. If you would like to receive text messages, each family member with a Family Access account must sign into their account and enter the cell phone number in the Text Message field. You may see your Cell Phone number listed in the “My Skyward Contact Info,” but this is only for phone calls, not text messages. Providing it in this field is your way of agreeing to “opt-in” to this service. Please note, although the District does not charge you for this service, it does not pay for text message charges that may be incurred by you for sending or receiving text messages. Check with your wireless carrier for possible charges. In the “Additional contact Info for Family” you will also be able to check which notifications you would like to be delivered to which Phone Number, Email Address, and Text Message. Once you make changes in the “Additional Contact Info,” click “Save.”

If you have forgotten your username and password for Family Access or have any questions, please contact your child’s school office. If you do not have a Family Access account, please contact the school office to get a Family Access
Permission Form to get an account created.